Thursday, August 27, 2020

The trains I've been on (part 3)

 Hello again, and welcome back. Apologies for not posting in a couple of weeks, whilst I've been dealing with a few family issues. I was planning on posting this a couple of weeks ago but, given the tragic events in Scotland, I felt it was appropriate to wait until today to post again. 

Today's post is the 3rd part of the "Trains I've been on" series.


We start today with the Class 313, currently in operation along the East and West Coastway routes operated by Southern. I've been on one of these trains on two occasions, both of which were back in the summer of 2016 when I was looking at universities. I used one from Brighton to Falmer (to go and look at Sussex University) and one from Chichester to Portsmouth and Southsea to go and look at Portsmouth University, and I must admit I was quite fond of them, particularly as they didn't seem to feature any of the 3+2 style seating which is common on Southern services.

The Class 315 is today's second train to be mentioned, which I rode on the TFL rail network, between London Liverpool Street and Romford in January this year. I had planned to go to Shenfield, however my main aim for the day was to do the Romford-Upminster branch line, which was operated by the same class of train I believe. I needed to get back into central London as I was meeting a friend to check into a hotel and have dinner before we went to see a show in the West End.

And now on to a train that I haven't traveled on for many years. The Class 317 trains are confined to areas of the Greater Anglia network and are in the process of being replaced, but my experience on one of these trains dates back several years, to when they operated on the Great Northern network, when I traveled on one between King's Cross and Cambridge.

Another type of train formerly operated by First Capital Connect, I've ridden on a fair few Class 319 units, and I must admit I wasn't hugely fond of either these or the 317s. I particularly dislike the 3+2 configuration which is often found on these units, as the aisle is then really not very wide. I am looking forward to seeing what they look like after conversion into the class 769 units, which will be going onto a few different routes in Wales and England.

The Class 357 is today's final train to get a mention, and I've only been on one of these, and it was for the short journey from Upminster to Fenchurch Street back in January, when I'd been on the Romford to Upminster line. I quite like these trains, but I don't feel I can comment too much on them seeing as I've been onboard for only a short journey. My memories of that day are also slightly clouded by the fact that I managed to get lost trying to get from Fenchurch Street to my hotel for the night!


I'm going to leave this here for today, but Saturday's post is going to be the story of how I did all the DLR stops, so that's going to be a long one.


No comments:

Post a Comment