Saturday, September 5, 2020

Hitting 10% complete

After the brief interlude of the rolling stock themed post last time, I'm here with some more rail action, and it's an exciting one because this is the blog post in which I reach 10% complete on the national rail network.


I knew I was pretty close to 10% complete and was trying to figure out where I should go to celebrate this little milestone, and I thought Paddington would potentially be an idea, but I didn't actually end up at Paddington on the day I hit 10%. I had made arrangements to meet a friend for a socially distanced lunch (eating out to help out) at Westfield Statford City in East London, and decided to use the Overground from Clapham Junction round to Stratford as I'd ended up on a much earlier train to London than I needed to. And so, as I passed around zone 2 on the overground, I hit 10% at Kentish Town West station.




I didn't get off the train at this station, instead heading to Stratford, where I met my friend. I then ended up getting some tube train action in as, once I'd left my friend, I headed to the centre's Lush in the hope that they had a specific product in (a solid cleanser bar, which melts on the skin, but in the new larger size that has been introduced). Unfortunately they didn't, so I decided to head for the other Westfield centre (White City) to see if they had one instead (spoiler: they didn't - apparently it had only just been launched online and the stock hadn't reached the stores yet. I bought a small one as I had almost run out completely, so will have to wait for that one to run out before I try for the larger one again). When working out how to get across London, I decided to head for Liverpool Street and the Circle Line, rather than using the central line to Shepherd's Bush, in the hope that I may be able to see one of the new FLIRT trains that Greater Anglia have introduced. Well, I saw one. Going in the opposite direction to me. They look nice, and I hope to catch one soon!


A couple of weeks later and I headed back to White City Westfield because they have a specific shop which, whilst the chain has one in Nottingham where I've been at Uni, my home town doesn't. Croydon has one, but I decided I'd rather go and explore Shepherd's Bush Overground station by boarding the Overground up from Clapham. I'd planned to go to Five Guys for lunch, but it took me ages to find it because I got lost!

Whilst in London, I had two ideas. Firstly was that I could visit Paddington and get to ride on one of new Crossrail trains (I got one of the old units in January) by going to Ealing Broadway. The second thought was that, given the fact that at the moment I have limited scope for longer trips, I thought I'd try to tick off all of the stations on the Tube Map. I'm still working out exactly where I am at currently regarding this, but I knew I hadn't been very far west on the District Line, so decided to use this to get to Ealing, where I got lunch and a drink from Starbucks (Smores Frappuccino) before getting a train into Paddington, which I promptly forgot to photograph....



I'm going to leave this here before this post gets excessively long, but next time I'll be explaining how and why exactly I travelled a considerable distance for the purposes of going to Argos.


No comments:

Post a Comment